Friday, August 1, 2014

Review: The Tick People by Carlton Mellick, III.

The Tick PeopleThe Tick People by Carlton Mellick III
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"The Tick People" is an odd and brooding work from one of my favorite authors, Carlton Mellick, III. An entire population of people have taken root on the back of a giant dog who must be kept sad at all times because even a few wags of its tale would cause an apocalypse and wipe out Gloom Town. The story centers around Fernando Mendez, a Stressman, who is employed with the task of keeping the giant canine as sad as possible. Mendez is nagged into going to The Matchmaker by his overbearing sister in hopes of finding his perfect mate who turns out to be a half-human, half tick monstrosity that disgusts him so much he can't stop mating with her. The whole book seems to be more of an exercise in gross-out fiction than anything else. It starts out promising, giving us a very well detailed look at a Dystopian Whoville like world, but quickly starts to feel forced and overdone. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it very much, just not as much as other Mellick books that I've read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment