Sunday, July 5, 2015

Book Review: The Poet's Song: Poetry from a troubled youth by Matthew Williams


It's not often I read book outside of the horror genre that is so good, I feel the need to blog about it. In its own way, this collection of poems could be considered horror as it expresses the horror of growing up black and gay in the ghettos of Philadelphia. It's amazing.

The Poet's song: Poetry from a troubled youthThe Poet's song: Poetry from a troubled youth by Matthew Williams

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I will never say I understand what it means to be black in America. Yes, I grew up in a single parent home. Yes, I grew up poor, dirt poor. But I grew up in a dirt poor, single parent white neighborhood. I grew up on what was considered the "right" side of racial strife. I grew up where racial slurs were tossed without hesitation. If it had not been for the integration of schools where I learned that Black Americans laughed, cried, and bled exactly the same as I did, I would have turned out to be a horrible person just like the woman who raised me. I am thankful everyday for the freedom that turning your back on racism brings. I would never demean a Black American by telling them I understand their plight. Because I don't and I can't.

Reading "The Poets Song..." is a heartbreaking experience. Mr. Williams writes about not only growing up black in inner city Philadelphia (you know the part of town that was bombed by its own mayor in 1985 because of a black separatist group known as MOVE), but writes about what is was like to grow up gay AND black in inner city Philly. These are bleak poems coming from a place of pain that most people could not escape. While sad, painful, and angry, the poems also demonstrate the author's hope and determination to rise above and triumph over the odss that have been stacked against him.

Some of the poems are celebratory too. Like "New Love" dedicated to his newborn niece.

This is an amazing collection and deserves, no, demands your attention.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment